Friday, May 26, 2006

Dogs

In Our culture, dogs are considered to be unclean animals. Outside of the fact that in Pakistan dogs are mostly stray rather than pets, dogs are considered to be unclean according to Islamic law. It is said that angels will not enter a home wherein there is a dog. Furthermore, prayers offered in an impure area are invalid; dogs, as a source of impurity, make roomes and homes impure. These are some reasons used to justify not keeping dogs as pets.

Even if dogs are kept as pets, they are outside animals, meaning that they would not be welcome inside the home. Of course, the perception that dogs are unclean no doubt also plays a role in this fact.

Therefore, those of Our culture are, to begin with, not used to having to deal with dogs or cats as pets. In contrast, it seems that most Americans are used to dealing with dogs and/or cats. In addition, those of Our culture do not understant dogs: why do they what they do? how ought one to deal with dogs? what are the expectations in interacting with dogs?

Although these still remain mysteries to Us, We are beginning to understand more about dogs by reading what bloggers have said about their pets. We thank these bloggers for expanding Our understanding. One day, We hope to know how to interact properly and confidently with dogs.

Here are some dogblogging posts:

Dave in Texas
Save This Dog (crossposted on Innocent Bystanders)
The Beagle Controversy
Senor Dumbass (crossposted on Innocent Bystanders)

Innocent Bystanders
They Never Have A Bad Day
Dogblogging
Faster Than A Speeding Rig
Photographic Update
Let Me People Go
Great American Superhero
If You Don't Vote, You Can't Complain

HayZeus
More Dogblogging

Mrs. Peel
Dogblogging

AGJ
You Are In Soooo Much Trouble, Mister!
My Buddy (2)
My 4-legged Terror...
My Buddy (1)
Winter Wonderland
My Best Bud Riley

Cake or Death?
Time Flies When You're Scoopin' Poop
Blizzard Pics

innaa naHnu-l-a'lam.

6 Comments:

At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a cat person, myself - don't really like dogs.

However, my mom has a labrador than is so smart, it can practically wash the windows and do her taxes. She took it through numerous training programs, so the dog doesn't do any of the normal dog stuff (like jumping on people or chasing things without permission). It's not quite as trained as a seeing-eye dog, but getting there. It even teaches itself new tricks, just to get treats.

From this dog, I've learned that dogs want discipline. They are pack animals and get confused if you let them run wild. Too many dog owners let their animals run the house. That's probably why I don't like dogs.

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dogs are great. I have been around dogs most of my life and they are loyal, fun, affectionate companions. I also think cats are great, but in a very different way. Wickedpinto is on to something there when he says we all subintellectualize ourselves when it comes to our pets. Maybe that is another reason we are so fond of them.

 
At 1:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Muslim avoidance of dogs shows an inherent disregard of innovation that is prevalent throughout history.

From the fearsome Rottweiler (bred to guard) to the lowly Chihuahua (bred to hunt mice), the various breeds of dogs around today display the vast difference between Muslim and Western culture.

I wonder if the Saudis have the same disdain for the Western built oil wells that they have for dogs.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Christopher R Taylor said...

I've never been a big dog guy, but if I had a farm or a lot of land I'd get one because they are perfect in that kind of setting. Dogs are their most useful when they work, and not so great as just pets, I think. I feel so bad for a big ol' dawg with some guy living in the city. The poor thing gets walked around the block once in a while and lives in a tiny box most of it's life.

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Muslihuun,
Interesting post you have here. Personally, I've had dogs around since I was very young and I'm of the opinion that dogs make good pets. However, dogs are animals, not "people", they each have thier own distinct personality but they are still animals. As an example, I recently had a Black Labrador (died of old age at 14 yrs) who was a "Protector" for our family. She always placed herself between us and strangers (face towards them), she always lay on the floor between a family member and the door (face towards the door) she was an excellent pet and earned her keep here.

My current dog is a "Walker 'Coon Hound" (yes, for hunting Racoons) and though she is a good hunter she prefers to be "The Protected" member of the family. She typically moves to place me between herself and any interloper in our group, she'll bark an alarm but wont fight in defence. Not that I mind as I'm capable of defending myself but I realize that she prefers to let me do the protecting for both of us.

This behaviour is probably due to the fact that she was subservient to the Lab mentioned above and let me fill that role when the Lab passed.

I have the strong belief a dog owner must be able to control thier animal. Alot of people can't, or won't discipline the dog and it needs to be done. As far as dogs being "unclean", well, they are animals but from a religious stand point Christians dont have a distinct aversion to them. Serpents tend to fill the slot for animals Christians don't keep or have any sort of religious aversion to.

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I travelled across Africa many years ago with a friend. We were on the same route as a Swiss couple in a Land Rover and often camped near them. They had a big German Shepherd to guard their vehicle and stuff while they saw the sights. I was amazed at how terrified the Africans were of the dog. I think the dog sensed their fear and so put on a ferocious show for them. My kids see a dog and want to go pet the "cute doggy" no matter how mean it looks. Just different conditioning I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home